While technological strides have made motorcycles safer to ride over the years, they still do not have the steel and airbags that cars are equipped with for the protection of drivers and passengers. That means it’s up to you to keep safety in mind while you ride. Not only can you reduce your risk of accident or injury, but riding safely can also earn you a discount on your motorcycle insurance. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind while riding.
1. Wear a helmet: Gearing up with assorted safety equipment—like boots, gloves, thick pants and jackets—is important before hitting the road. But even if you skip some of these items, you should never go for a ride without wearing a properly fitted motorcycle helmet. Helmets are responsible for saving thousands of lives.
2. Maintain focus: Though driving any motor vehicle requires focus, operating a motorcycle arguably requires even more focus since you must balance yourself as well. Refrain from using your phone, eating or performing any other task while you’re in the seat. Your focus should be entirely devoted to the road.
3. Avoid cars’ blind spots: When the driver of a car cannot see you, it increases the risk of an accident, especially if someone attempts to change lanes. Avoid being in cars’ blind spots by staying away from their back corners. It’s much safer to position yourself directly next to a car so the driver can see you through the windows.
4. Check your turn signals: Some motorcycles have turn signals that do not turn off automatically after the turn is made. If you own this type of bike, remember to manually turn off the blinkers after turning to prevent any associated confusion.
5. Ride with confidence: Though you should never act aggressively on the road, you should be confident enough to prevent cars from bullying you. Even though motorcyclists take up less space, they have the same rights as those driving cars. However, having the same rights also means that you do not have any special privileges, so be sure to ride within the law.
Your safety is our priority. Call Auto Insurance Express at (417) 206-3733 for more information on Joplin motorcycle insurance.